This brief, paperbound edition contains chapters 1-20 of the best-selling Eighth Edition of Microbiology: An Introduction by Tortora, Funke, and Case, and offers a complete supplements package for students and professors. Chapters 21-28 of the regular edition cover diseases and environmental and industrial microbiology applications.
Every student package automatically includes a CD-ROM containing the Microbiology Place website, along with an access code for the Microbiology Place website. Students and instructors continue to make Microbiology: An Introduction the No. 1 selling non-majors microbiology text, praising its careful balance of microbiology concepts and applications, proven art that teaches, and its straightforward presentation of complex topics. For the Eighth Edition, this successful formula has been refined with updated research, applications, and links to an enhanced Microbiology Place Website/CD-ROM. Supported by a powerful new Art and Photo CD-ROM for instructors, this new edition provides the most current coverage, technology, and applications for microbiology students.
I. FUNDAMENTALS OF MICROBIOLOGY.
1. The Microbial World and You.
2. Chemical Principles.
3. Observing Microorganisms Through a Microscope.
4. Functional Anatomy of Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells.
5. Microbial Metabolism.
6. Microbial Growth.
7. The Control of Microbial Growth.
8. Microbial Genetics.
9. Biotechnology and Recombinant DNA.
II. A SURVEY OF THE MICROBIAL WORLD.
10. Classification of Microorganisms.
11. The Prokaryotes: Domains Bacteria and Archaea.
12. The Eukaryotes: Fungi, Algae, Protozoa, and Helminths.
13. Viruses, Viroids, and Prions.
III. INTERACTION BETWEEN MICROBE AND HOST.
14. Principles of Disease and Epidemiology.
15. Microbial Mechanisms of Pathogenicity.
16. Nonspecific Defenses of the Host.
17. Specific Defenses of the Host: The Immune Response.
18. Practical Applications of Immunology.
19. Disorders Associated with the Immune System.
20. Antimicrobial Drugs.