This brief, paperbound edition contains chapters 1-18 of Bauman's groundbreaking Microbiology text and offers a complete supplements package for students and professors. Chapters 19-26 of the regular edition cover diseases and environmental and industrial microbiology applications.
Every student package automatically includes a CD-ROM containing the Microbiology Place website, along with an access code for the Microbiology Place website. Designed for non-majors and nursing/allied health students, Microbiology by Robert Bauman features an unparalleled, visually stunning art program that works with the text to engage as it teaches. Filled with interesting vignettes, cutting-edge research, and student-focused pedagogy, Bauman's text brings the wonders of microbiology alive while providing a solid, comprehensive introduction to the field. A powerful media and supplements package includes The Microbiology Place website/CD-ROM, along with an Instructor's Resource CD-ROM containing lecture outlines, micrographs and illustrations from the text.
1. History and Scope of Microbiology.
2. The Chemistry of Microbiology.
3. Cell Structure and Function.
4. Microscopy, Staining and Classification.
5. Microbial Metabolism.
6. Microbial Nutrition and Growth.
7. Microbial Genetics.
8. Biotechnology and Recombinant DNA.
9. Controlling Microbial Growth in the Environment.
10. Controlling Microbial Growth in the Body: Antimicrobial Drugs.
11. Characterizing and Classifying Prokaryotes.
12. Characterizing and Classifying Eukaryotes.
13. Characterizing and Classifying Viruses, Viroids, and Prions.
14. Infection, Disease, and Epidemiology.
15. Natural and Non-specific Resistance.
16. Specific Defense: The Immune Response.
17. Immunization and Diagnostic Testing.
18. Immune Deficiencies and Hypersensitivities.