(NOTE: Each chapter concludes with Summary, Study Questions, Into the Web, and Selected References.)
SECTION I – TODAY’S FOOD SCENE.
1. Our Daily Bread.
2. Food Safety.
SECTION II – FOOD PREPARATION.
3. Factors in Food Preparation.
6. Salads and Salad Dressings.
7. Fats and Oils.
8. Carbohydrates: Sugar Cookery.
9. Carbohydrates: Starches and Cereal Cookery.
10. Proteins: Milk and Cheese.
11. Proteins: Meats, Poultry, and Fish.
13. Leavening Agents.
14. Basics of Batters and Doughs.
15. Breads – Quick and Yeast.
16. Cakes, Cookies, and Pastries.
18. Preserving Food.
SECTION III – FOOD IN THE CONTEXT OF LIFE.
19. Nutrition and Food.
20. Menu Planning and Meal Preparation.
21. Meal Service and Hospitality.
Appendix A. Measuring and Metrics.
Appendix B. Some Food Additives.
Appendix C. Glossary.