For beginning students in Introduction to Nursing and Fundamentals of Nursing courses. Can also be used as a handy reference in Medical Surgical Nursing and throughout nursing school.
A “must-have” resource for all nursing students, this text focuses on areas in nursing that consistently cause the most confusion. The engaging, reader-friendly writing style simplifies difficult concepts and presents them in a clear, concise manner. Handy survival tips for nursing school are also included—with advice on taking tests, using the Internet to access current nursing information, and communicating more effectively.
I. GETTING THROUGH NURSING SCHOOL.
1. How to Learn, Study, and Take Tests.
2. Time Management.
5. Texts and Other Learning Resources.
6. Faculty Variability.
8. Professional Possibilities.
9. Legal/Ethical Concerns.
10. Risk Management.
II. FUNCTIONING IN CLINICAL SETTINGS.
13. Nursing Process, Clinical Pathways, and Case Management.
14. Critical Thinking.
III. UNIVERSAL ISSUES.
21. Alternative Therapies.
23. Death and Dying.
IV. UNDERSTANDING DIFFICULT CONCEPTS.
24. ABGs—The Basics Contained in Ten Questions.
25. Endocrine Highlights.
26. Drug Calculations and Medication Issues.
27. Highlights of Fluids, Electrolytes, and IV Medications.
28. Laboratory and Diagnostic Studies.
31. Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases.
32. Challenging Concepts.
V. KNOWLEDGE BUILDING.
35. Accessing Health Information via the Internet.