Campbell Essential Biology, Fourth Edition provides essential, effective solutions to the challenges faced by instructors and their students in the non-majors biology course.
- Three features (Biology and Society, Process of Science, and Evolution Connection) found at the beginning, middle and end of every chapter give students a memorable framework to take with them into the future.
- One compelling topic anchors the three book features in each chapter to emphasize how biology is highly relevant.
- The book and the media are designed from the ground up to teach biology to a wide range of students.
- MasteringBiology, our online tutorial and assessment system, makes it easy to increase student participation and accountability.
1. Introduction: Biology Today
2. Essential Chemistry for Biology
3. The Molecules of Life
4. A Tour of the Cell
5. The Working Cell
6. Cellular Respiration: Obtaining Energy from Food
7. Photosynthesis: Using Light to Make Food
8. Cellular Reproduction: Cells from Cells
9. Patterns of Inheritance
10. The Structure and Function of DNA
11. How Genes Are Controlled
12. DNA Technology
III. EVOLUTION AND DIVERSITY
13. How Populations Evolve
14. How Biological Diversity Evolves
15. The Evolution of Microbial Life
16. Plants, Fungi, and the Move onto Land
17. The Evolution of Animals
18. An Introduction to Ecology and the Biosphere
19. Population Ecology
20. Communities and Ecosystem